Thursday 17 May 2012

Move over Famous Five

Day 5 - Walton on Thames to Staines - and we've already done over 1/4 of the distance which feels very good. When I started I thought I would do well to complete a week but maybe I'll get into week 2! As i walked today I thought of composing an illustrated tract analysing the benefits of bursting blisters as you go, but thought better of it. Will just endorse my dear friend Pat's description of Compeed as 'gin for the feet'. Last night we stayed at a super b&b called number 33 in Walton. There was a mix up over the booking and we were upgraded to a luxury room with comfy huge bed, so I had the best night's sleep of the week. Forgot to take our packed lunch when we left and the owner chased after us and met us further along the path. By then we were on the wrong side of the river and the ferry man went over and collected it for us free of charge. Aren't people lovely? Had a truly Enid Blyton moment as we ate lunch - cheese and tomato sandwiches taste so much better in the open air, though Mel pointed out that we needed lashings of ginger beer to make it authentic! Swooping terns, swerving wagtails and grebes doing that mating dance thing in the sunshine made it all very special. I'dnever seen a tree full of herons and their nests before - quite surreal! Arrived in Staines just after lunch as it was only 7miles today and got upgraded to a room with a river view and a great comfy bed at the Mercure Thames Lodge. How lucky is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment