Tuesday 5 June 2012

The Chicken has Landed

The final legg was so easy and there was only one boggy patch near to where the river emerged from underground - at least a mile from the source which was dry as a bone. it was a particularly joyful ending as we were joined by our dear friends Caroline (who lent me some very fancy wellies) and Alan. We dutifully took photos to record the event then wandered down to the Thames Head where we were joined by Diana, Gwyn, Ed, Bill and Tamzin and Karolyne, Asghar and Trevor from Arts Together which was a lovely surprise. We toasted our success and Karolyne presented me with a 'recovery pack' including a plant (joyous orange flowers typical of Arts Together), foot soak and foot creams, soft furry boottees for my tender toes and of course chocolate!
It was weird to arrive home and to be honest I am still sorting out in my head what it has all meant to me. Certainly it was the greatest physical challenge I've ever attempted and I was convinced I wouldn't make it past the first week. Yet once we were on our way I didn't long to be home and certainly never thought of giving up. Helen pointed out that we've both inherited our mother's stubborn streak and it certainly helped.
Still pondering .....

No comments:

Post a Comment